Saturday, June 4, 2011

Tile in the Living Room?

Dear Melissa:
I am considering having ceramic tile installed in my living room. The carpeting I had installed a couple of years ago already has to be replaced due to heavy traffic, a long-haired cat, a 6-month old puppy, and a Newfoundland. The present carpet is forest green with the same carpeting going up the stairway and upstairs hall. My problem is: What do I do with the stairway and hall? Have you ever heard of using ceramic tile in the living room? I am afraid of losing the “comfortable feeling” it now affords if I install ceramic tile. Do you have any alternative suggestions? R.D., IN 

Dear R.:
Don’t I always? I sympathize with the conflict between pets and carpeting. Tile in living rooms is very popular in warm climates, like Florida and the Southwest. You are absolutely correct in thinking it will seem cold (and in fact, be cold to the touch). Some better options might be synthetic stain-resistant carpeting, hardwood (which can actually be priced fairly reasonably); laminated wood, which has improved dramatically; green patterned carpet; or replaceable carpet tiles.

Regarding the latter, I’m not referring to the cheap do-it-yourself carpet tiles of the past. These look exactly like broadloom when installed properly, but the individual stained tiles can be replaced. Commercial carpeting has always come like this. For a more residential feel, take a look at http://www.flor.com/ .

If the forest green carpet on the stairs looks tired or seems to clash with the new flooring, you might also consider a stair runner to make the transition from the flooring downstairs to the carpeting upstairs. It's a nicer look. M.A.K.