Thursday, June 2, 2011

Little Wall Space

Dear Melissa:
My kids are moving into their teen years so I decided this was the time to redo the playroom. I put in a wood floor, painted the walls a bright color, and replaced toys with computer equipment. My problem is that the room has a low, slanted ceiling on opposite sides of the room; the one wall at the end of the room has a nearly floor-length palladium window in it. So, there is very little wall space. I’d like to put up a few pictures/posters that are framed but I think they would look strange attached (somehow) to the ceiling, and strange on the waist-high walls. I am putting one next to the window, but am I limited to one picture in the room? J. M., AK

Dear J.:
The room sounds great so far. Alas, we all have only so much wall space, which is a problem for art lovers. You don’t have to be limited, however. You can stack smaller pictures one above the other on the wall, placing the ones with more visual weight on the bottom. Another option is to store and rotate your pictures seasonally for a fresh new look. (Just hide the previous holes.) It’s perfectly all right to place pictures on the floor and lean them against the wall, even overlapping them slightly, for a casual look. And don’t forget tabletop and freestanding easels. Now your picture count is around seven. M.A.K.