Thursday, June 2, 2011

Dear Melissa: 
You have been so helpful in the past and I thank you for that.  Here I am again with 2 other questions/problems.  (1) Want to install a rope hand railing (instead of normal wooden one) in a small, narrow & steep stairwell.  I know I've seen these in historic homes in the past, but can't remember where.  Where can I find information? (2) Want to put a door at top of stairs to master bedroom.  (Not same staircase as previous question.)  It's a unique situation in that this 2nd floor only has this one room; it's kind of like a loft, although no overhanging balcony.  I probably need an interior architect.  Is there such a designation?  And how do I find one? Thanks in advance.
"Decorating Novice"Lyme, CT

Dear Decorating Novice:
It’s always nice to have a repeat customer. (1) In my opinion, safety comes first. Are you sure you want to install a flexible handrail in such a challenging stairwell? If you decide to proceed, you will need a large diameter rope from a marine supply or building supply store. Then you will have to find railing brackets that will fit that diameter rope. Some potential sources are: Baldwin Brass, Renovators Supply, R. Christensen, juliusblum.com, and atrtechnologies.com.

(2) Any builder, interior designer, or architect can help you. (And yes there are people who call themselves interior architects, as a subspecialty.) Try the yellow pages or local professional organizations. It may be difficult, however, to find someone for such a small project. M.A.K.