Monday, June 27, 2011

How to Make Florida Work in Boston

Dear Melissa: 
I just relocated from Florida where my chrome and beige contemporary leather furniture looked good with white walls and big windows overlooking the bay. But it all seems sterile up here. I don’t want to change my furniture because I may move again in 18 months and anyway I like it. What economical things can I do? J.E.R., Boston

Dear J:
I have three words for you: color, texture and plants. As you’ve noticed, white walls don’t work well in our northern light. Use either warm colors like chocolate or a “funky” color like purple or turquoise. Counterbalance the sleekness of the chrome and leather furniture with lots of nubby fabrics, Flokati rugs, woven blinds, and textured wallcoverings. Living things also warm up a room. Throw lots of parties, invest in some plants, or hire your unemployed brother-in-law to hang out on your couch. M.A.K.