Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Color in an Open Floor Plan

Dear Melissa:
I have a problem with my open floor plan in my contemporary cape that I think is pretty common with a lot of houses built in the '90's.  The family room is about 12 x 15 and it opens into the kitchen, which is about 12 x 18. The entire space has hardwood floors and there is a sunroom off the family room.  You can see the front door from the family room and the sunroom.  My problem is the lack of coziness- it's painted all one color, a light pink, right now to go with the colors I have now.  When redecorating, should I go for two different colors in the kitchen and family room/sun room?  What color(s) would be warm and inviting? Should I use two complementary colors to assist with the delineation of space?  What other recommendations do you have for helping out with the openness?  I'm not too crazy about using screens or plants.  Should we build a small wall to help with the foyer openness?  Thanks.
Diane, Guilford, CT

Dear Diane:
First of all, congrats on the pink – which is one of the up-and-coming premier colors.
That being said, if I’m reading this right, the sunroom is an extension of the family room. I think keeping a similar color scheme in the two spaces would work well (including different shades of the same color). The warmest colors are the reds, oranges and yellows, but I would be careful not to heat up a sunroom with a color that is too warm. For example, think lemon yellow, not chromium yellow; think coral not pumpkin; etc. You could extend the color into the kitchen as well for continuity, but why not use a contrasting color here for interest.
As for dividing up too much openness, a half wall bookcase would be great, so would a lowered ceiling, and obvious seating groups, anchored by area rugs. You can divide a large space with color changes only if there are wall breaks in the right places. Take a look at books on loft design for some inspiration.
M.A.K.