Saturday, November 5, 2011

Whwn a Vessel Sink Won't Drain

Dear Melissa:
I don’t know if you’ve ever talked about this but we’re having a problem with our very expensive bathroom sink. It’s called a “vessel” sink and it sits like a bowl on top of, not in, the bathroom vanity. I don’t want to admit how much this sink cost us but no matter what we do it won’t drain. Have you ever heard of such a thing? Overflowing and Disgusted

Dear Disgusted:
Oh, honey, been there; done that. Twice. It doesn’t even have to be a vessel sink to do this. I know from experience that an equally expensive marble drop-in sink can have the very same problem. The common denominator is that these sinks are missing the hole that normally handles the water overflow.
It seems this handy little channel also adds much needed air to the pipes. Now, I barely passed Physics, but I know just enough about plumbing to know that for some mysterious physical reason, water can’t drain without the right amount of air. Go figure.
There is an air vent in your bathroom wall that is probably not enough to handle this type of problematic sink. I am assuming that you too did not opt for a pop-up drain. I have tried many suggestions, but only one remedy has worked for me. It’s called a “touch drain”, and it’s similar to a pop up, but more contemporary looking and less expensive. You simply press the disk in the center and it “pops up”, sucking in the much needed air.
Some high-end European manufacturers now build in overflows even in their vessel sinks. You might try one of these next time, if there is a next time.
I hope the touch drain works for you. Otherwise, there’s always the very retro-chic plumber’s helper --- the plunger. M.A.K.