Thursday, November 3, 2011

Navigating Stairs with Vision Problems

Dear Melissa:
I’m getting on in years and while I can still climb the stairs in my home I have some vision problems and sometimes the stairs look like one solid color to me. My children are worried that I’ll fall. I’m beginning to think they’re right. Is there anything I can do short of moving into a ranch? W. H., Illinois

Dear W.:
Yours is not an uncommon situation, since we baby boomers are all aging (gracefully and otherwise). I’ve actually given a lot of thought to this problem. Good lighting is of course crucial, and rarely provided on staircases I might add. You need to highlight the edge of each tread so that the steps don’t blur together. This can be done in several ways depending on your budget.
Let’s get the two most costly solutions out of the way first. One is to have a carpet installer inset a narrow strip of carpet, in a second color, along the edge of each step; another choice would be to have an electrician light each tread – anything to create definition.
The least costly remedies are to remove the carpeting and stain or paint the edge of each tread. If someone is artistic, this accent strip could be a lovely stenciled design. No matter which solution you choose, get in the habit of keeping your hands free and ALWAYS using the handrail. M.A.K.