Friday, April 8, 2011

Dream Client

Dear Melissa:
I’m curious as to what you would consider a dream client. T.R. 

Dear T.:
Ah, I can hear all the decorators reading this sighing right now. We all share the same fantasy: a client who is easygoing, patient and appreciative. Let me explain by saying this is a strange business in that decorators are privy to so many intimate details of how people live. We have access to closets and drawers. We often observe long-standing strains and disagreements. We frequently know more about people than their own families do. Since we spend so much time with clients, and share so many confidences, we tend to bond with them. It’s not mandatory, but believe me, it really helps to genuinely like one’s clients.
That’s the personal side. On the professional side, my dream client is the person who wants something truly unique; someone adventurous enough to break away from ordinary rooms; someone who shares my vision of color, drama, and unusual materials --- and obviously who has the budget to pursue the extraordinary. M.A.K.